Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Subtle Message From Guantanamo ?

A US Navy lawyer faces six months in prison and dismissal from service for sending a human rights lawyer the names of 550 Guantanamo Bay detainees.


"I should have done better. It was extremely irrational for me to do what I did," he said.

"I knew my time was limited... I had to do something."

"No matter how the conflict was identified, we were to treat them in accordance with Geneva, and it just wasn't being done."

Is this the the kicker though, he is being tried by court marshal not a civil court, he has pleaded guilty, which he is, so the court has to find for the army, but what message are the "jury" (one must assume senior officers) sending out?

The jury recommended that Lt Cdr Diaz receive full pay and benefits during his time in jail. more

No comments: