Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Should Saudi Women Drive

.
I have deliberately omitted the question mark in the title, it would be academic if I were to include it, but it is far from academic to those that inhabit the land of darkness.



Before moving on to this Memri TV clip I cannot help but notice this, and most other previous discussions that call for granting of some degree of human rights for Saudi women, always seem to be hosted by television stations in a third party country.




In this short clip we here from a male women's rights activist advocating that Saudi women be allowed to drive.
Opposite him is a female from the Road Safety Department who I can only describe as extremely cautious if not frightened, and showing a subservience that, from the point of view of a western male, grates on my sensibilities. ( listen how she defers to her "wise" government )

After these two have their few minutes we then hear from the Head of Islamic Culture, King Saud University. I think you will get the idea. clip watch it to the end.

No comments: