Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pig Pants And Pentecostals

She doesn't give her name not even a pseudonym, so how do I introduce the woman? I can hardly call her "She." Turkish springs to mind and for no other reason that she, Turkish, is such a delight to read.

Although the story I link to has the pentecostal theme running through it and as such is fodder for the blog, I could in fact have offered you any of Turkish's most popular posts.
I have read the first four in the list and have to say they really are wonderful reading, I implore you to do the same, you will be far from being disappointed.

I know this might be hard to believe, but my brother and I generally liked being a part of the Pentecostal church. For one thing, the majority of the parishioners refrained from using birth control, so there were always tons of kids around for us to play with. For another thing, church was exciting. Who needed a television set or video games when you could simply attend the Wednesday night service?


Church services always started off quiet enough with the organ playing and parishioners quietly whispering greetings and shaking hands. But among the kids, there was a kind of electricity in the air. Half of the time, we could barely contain ourselves. We knew that if things went well, it was likely we’d see some crazy ass shit. more

1 comment:

Larry Hamelin said...

I quit reading V when she complained how the PC thought police made her feel guilty for calling black people niggers. She's kind of amusing, in a middlebrow, unreflective, pompous, self-righteous way.