Sunday, July 17, 2011

Stephenson Gone!

Good shot, Yates next?

Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson has resigned following the phone hacking scandal.

Britain's most senior police officer has faced criticism for hiring former News of the World executive Neil Wallis - who was questioned by police investigating hacking - as an adviser.

Sir Paul said his links to the journalist could hamper investigations.

He said there were lessons to be learned from the affair, but he was leaving with his integrity intact.

He also said he had no knowledge of the extent of the phone hacking.



Home Secretary Theresa May said she was "sorry" he had resigned and thanked him for all the work he had done during his time in office.

Earlier, she said she would address MPs on Monday about her "concerns" over the closeness of the relationship between News International and police.
'Great sadness'

Sir Paul said in a statement: "I have taken this decision as a consequence of the ongoing speculation and accusations relating to the Met's links with News International at a senior level and in particular in relation to Mr Neil Wallis."

He added: "Let me state clearly, I and the people who know me know that my integrity is completely intact.

"I may wish we had done some things differently, but I will not lose sleep over my personal integrity." short clip blah blah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good shot, Yates next.