Sunday, September 04, 2011

''I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens''


Yeah...he's a nobody, but Florida "pastor" Michael Stahl has provided a great excuse to remind others just how many atheists and free-thinkers affect our lives and cultures every day. Stahl has suggested that known atheists be categorized on a list he called "The Christian National Registry of Atheists." Imagine what kind of names, past and present, such a list would provide. RDF




Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God. positiveatheism.org







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Seneca (4 BC – 65 AD)

Undoubtedly by the rulers as useful so that powerless common people (pretend to) regard religion as true. But wise common people regard religion as false or irrelevant. In my opinion of course, long live free speech and bloggers who allow anonymous to comment. M

Anonymous said...

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/
free-speech-how-can-two-
planes-destroy-three-towers

Himself said...

Thank you.

It's all here, in four and a half minutes.

http://youtu.be/PaJelU29jeI

Anonymous said...

Thank you Himself, impressive, common sense.

3:30 Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the laughter (not the whole audience fortunately), not funny at all. One doesn't expect this reaction from Dawkins' audience, it diminishes what Dawkins is telling, the more because he didn't intend to be funny, in my opinion.
Yes I know, I am far too critical and the problem is the grammar. M

Himself said...

Just a culture thing I think Maren. It's not the most sophisticated society in the world.

Have you ever watched an audience when a guest appears on a show? All shouting and hollering and whistling.

What you or I might find funny would probably sail over the head of your average Yank.

That said, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary from the audience.

That's it for me until later, I'm taking Mama out for the afternoon.

Regards
H